Global Mission Sunday – October 6th, 2019
University Evangelical Lutheran Church (UELC) – Gainesville, FL
Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA) -
Churchwide Global Activities
- 135 Missionaries to 42 countries, including 21 new missionaries in 2018: Invited by companion churches & sponsored by the ELCA
- What do they do?
- Educators: 55 as teachers, professors & trainers
- Administrators: 27 as program facilitators & communicators
- Parish Ministry: 25 as pastors, interns & worship assistants
- Health Professionals: 8 as doctors & health care coordinators
- YAGM: 14 as coordinators for Young Adults in Global Mission (YAGM). Since 1999, 925 young adults have served with YAGM. 30% of YAGM alumni go into seminary, 50% work in non-profit organizations, 60% get involved in advocacy & justice work
- ELCA synods participate in nearly 120 relationships with international companions that extend bilateral relationships between the ELCA and Lutheran church bodies in other countries, as an expression of the communion fellowship among the 145 member churches of The Lutheran World Federation
UELC’s Global Outreach:
- Continuing Sponsorship of Children at the Village of Hope, in Haiti. We have consistently sponsored over 20 children each year, for each of the past 12 years
- Participation in the FBS’s Global Mission Committee and it’s Haiti Task Force (HTF) sub-committee
- Mission Share to the FBS FBS to Churchwide
Florida-Bahamas Synod (FBS) Outreach to Companion Churches
- CUBA: United Evangelical Church – Lutheran Synod(Iglesia Evangélica Unida - Sínodo Luterano) (IEU-SL) in Santiago, Cuba. Most Pastors in the IEU-SL are females who speak limited English. FBS will make an immersion visit in December 2019 focused on strengthening the Companion relationship
- Guyana-Suriname: Group from FBS currently visiting these Companion Churches (ELCG (Guyana): Sept. 29 – Oct. 03 & ELKS (Suriname): Oct. 4-6). Visit focused on opportunities for strengthening the Companion Churches
- Haiti: FBS’s Haiti Task Force is actively supporting several projects identified by the Eglise Evangelique Lutherienne D’Haiti (ELCH) or (ELH)
- Jamaica: FBS’s Companion Relationship is with the United Theological College of the West Indies (UTCWI), Mona Campus, University of the West Indies (UWI). A Team from FBS visited the UTCWI in January 2019 to explore ways of strengthening the Companion Relationship
Locally ULC is involved in many social service mission. See community outreach.
Thank you for the support for the Village of Hope Christmas Project. A check was again sent to VOH to purchase supplies. Additionally our donations are going to help with the LIFT sponsorship of their child.